is a privately owned website and not a government agency is a privately owned website. Privacy

How Soon Do You Need Your Passport?

Select the Processing Time to Expedite your New Passport


1 Business Day


+ Government Fee
Get Started


2-3 Business Days


+ Government Fees
Get Started


8 - 12 Business Days


+ Government Fees
Get Started

How to Expedite a Passport Name Change

After you change your name legally, you can start changing your documents with the new name. If you have a passport, you must replace it due to your name change. Read this guide for more information on the process.

When to Replace Your Passport After a Name Change

Once you have informed the Social Security Administration about the name change, you can apply for a new passport. You should replace your current passport even if it is still valid. The sooner you change all your documents into the new name; you are likely not to have any issues to prove your identity.

Steps to Change Your Passport

To get a new passport because of a name change, you must follow these steps:

  • Complete Form DS-5504, Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement
  • Gather your supporting documents
  • Have the application fee

Supporting Documents

The supporting documents are in addition to the form. The papers are used to prove your identity. The supporting documents include:

  • Your current passport (must be undamaged)
  • Proof of name change (marriage certificate, divorce decree, other court documents)
  • Passport photo
  • Complete Form DS-82 (if you had the passport for more than 12 months)
  • Complete Form DS-11 (if you completed Form DS-82)

Once you have all the materials, you can visit an acceptance facility to apply.

Where to Apply

The Department of State designates many facilities to accept passport applications. Some of these facilities include post offices, libraries, county clerk’s offices, and libraries. You can apply by using regular or expedited processing. Unlike the other sites with limited acceptance time, the post office has more extended hours and accepts more applications.

You can apply at private expeditors and regional passport agencies. These facilities can get your application process faster than the post offices. However, you will pay a service cost in addition to the application fee.

Processing Options

Standard Processing

The post office offers two processing options. Standard processing is the most common choice for applicants. It takes 4-6 weeks before you get a new passport in the mail. It is also the least expensive of all the options.

Expedited Processing

The post office also offers expedited processing to get a passport in 2-3 weeks. However, this service cost an extra $60. So, you will pay the application fee and the additional cost. You must provide proof of travel to be earlier than four weeks.

Rush Processing

For emergency travel, you can get a passport in 24 hours from a regional passport agency. Before you show up, you need an appointment. Call the National Passport Information Center to get one. At the meeting, provide proof of travel, your application, and the service and application fees.

A private expeditor can get you a passport in 24 hours and up to two weeks. Like a regional agency, a private expeditor will require proof of travel, application documents, and fees. The cost of the service will depend on how soon you need a passport.


You must apply for a passport after a name change to avoid problems especially if you travel overseas. When you do, provide proof of the name change, completed DS-5504, and your current passport. If your passport is older than a year, you must submit DS-82 and DS-11 as well.

For processing, you can choose from regular, expedited, or rush. It all depends on how soon you will travel and need a passport. It is best to apply right after your name change to avoid any additional charges.

Read MoreRead Less

Offering Fast, Reliable, Hassle-Free Services