is a privately owned website and not a government agency is a privately owned website. Privacy

How Soon Do You Need Your Passport?

Select the Processing Time to Expedite your New Passport


1 Business Day


+ Government Fee
Get Started


2-3 Business Days


+ Government Fees
Get Started


8 - 12 Business Days


+ Government Fees
Get Started

How to Expedite a New U.S. Passport

If you are thinking about getting a new passport, there is a process you must follow. The application consists of a form, supporting documents, and a fee. Once you can provide all, in a short time, you will have your travel document.

First-time Passport Applicant

The form for a first-time applicant is the same for an adult and a minor. Complete Form DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport. Before you start filling it out, read the guide to prevent any errors. Also, use it to create a checklist of the other papers you must gather and submit.

There are two ways to get the form. You can download it or get a copy from an acceptance facility. Once you receive a copy, complete it using a black ink pen. Parents can complete a form for their minors. Do not sign until you are in front of an acceptance agent.

Replacing an Expired Passport

If your passport will expire soon or did already, you can reapply for a replacement. Only an adult passport can be renewed. Complete Form DS-82 and submit the expired passport with the fee. The form is used if you have the expired document and it is no more than 15 years old. If you don’t have the passport (even if it expired), the passport is damaged or is older than 15 years, you cannot use Form DS-82.

Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport

If you have a trip coming up soon and you cannot find your passport, no need to worry. You can apply for a replacement. Complete Form DS-64 and Form DS-11. Form DS-64 will ask specific questions regarding your lost or stolen passport or card. Complete as accurate as possible to prevent any setbacks.

U.S. Passport Supporting Documents

Every form you complete will come with guidelines. The guidelines will provide a list of all supporting documents. Most supporting documents must be the original, a certified copy, or notarized copy. If it is not, a hold will be placed on the process until an acceptable replacement is received.

Here is a list of documents that will support the applicant’s identity to receive a passport:

  • Proof of citizenship:
    • Certified birth certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Certificate of Birth
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Expired passport
  • Proof of Identity:
    • Driver’s license
    • State-issued ID
    • Non-Driver’s ID
    • Marriage License
  • Passport photo:
    • Color
    • 2 x 2 in size
    • Taken within six months
    • Full face front view with plain white background
    • No glasses

Include the fee(s) with the application. The charge will vary when you apply for the first time, replacing an expired or lost or stolen passport. Also, the cost of a minor is less than the price of an adult.

Applying for a Minor Passport

A minor is a child 15 years or younger. The form used is the same one an adult when applying for a passport, DS-11. However, there are others use for minors under certain circumstances.

If one parent is absent at the time of applying, then the absent parent must complete Form DS-3053. DS-3053 – Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport to a Minor Under age 16, must be signed and notarized.

Under another particular circumstance, if a parent is not the minor’s life, deceased, or incarcerated, then complete Form DS-5525. The form is the Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstance and is used to get a minor passport.

In addition to the form, the parent or legal guardian must provide proof of documents such as:

  • Original Court documents regarding incarceration or restraining order of a parent
  • Divorce Decree
  • Death certificate

Submitting a Passport Application

The State Department has designated many facilities as acceptance agents. The most popular and convenient places are the post offices, county clerk’s offices, courthouses, and public libraries. All these facilities offer two processing options, regular and expedited processing.

Regular or Standard Processing

When you submit your application and select standard processing, you will pay one cost. The time it takes for you to get your passport in the mail will be about 4-6 weeks. In some circumstances, it may take longer. The time you submit form is when you sign the form.

Expedited Processing

For individuals who cannot wait can apply using expediting processing. To qualify, you must provide proof of travel that is sooner than four weeks. Once qualified, the processing time is between 2-3 weeks. However, the cost of this option is an additional $60 on the regular fee.

Private Expeditor & Regional Agencies

For emergency travels, other facilities like a private expeditor and a regional agency can process your application within 24 hours. To get this service, you must provide proof of travel and the emergency.

Both options are slightly different from the service they provide. For example, a regional agency only has a 24-hour service. Only with an appointment at the agency and approval, you can get a passport within 24 hours. The fee is one flat rate for the service. You must still pay the application cost.

A private expeditor can get you a passport anytime between a day and up to two weeks. The time is sooner than expediting processing, which takes 2-3 weeks. Since the time varies, so does the cost. Thus, the service fee for a private expeditor will vary and is in addition to the application cost.


Once you complete all the necessary forms, provide the valid support documents, and pay the cost, you will have your new travel document. If not, you have a delay in the process. After receiving your passport, the State Department will return your other materials. You will also get your expired passport if you apply for a replacement.

Keep in mind the cost will vary and is based on the type of process you select, and the type of passport will apply for, minor or adult. Also, you can apply for a temporary replacement if you are out of the country to lose your passport. Apply at a U.S Embassy or consulate in the country you are staying. You will be required to complete the same forms that were mentioned above.

Read MoreRead Less

Our Customer Saying:

Offering Fast, Reliable, Hassle-Free Services