is a privately owned website and not a government agency is a privately owned website. Privacy

How Soon Do You Need Your Passport?

Select the Processing Time to Expedite your Passport Replacement


1 Business Day


+ Government Fee
Get Started


2-3 Business Days


+ Government Fees
Get Started


8 - 12 Business Days


+ Government Fees
Get Started

How to Expedite a Lost or Stolen Passport

Stolen Passport

You can be traveling in the country and have your passport stolen. But there is nothing worse than getting your passport taken in another country. If you are a victim of a stolen passport, continue to read how to replace a stolen passport.

How to Report a Stolen Passport

How to Report Inside the U.S.

If you were traveling in the U.S. at the time your passport was stolen, you could notify the Department of State. To inform the Department, call the toll-free number at 1-877-487-2778. You can also complete Form DS-64 and mail it.

How to Report Outside the U.S.

Were you traveling outside the U.S. when your passport was stolen? If so, contact the nearest authority or police in the country. With a report of the incident, contact the U.S. embassy or consulate in the region to report your passport was stolen. A police report will help provide proof.

You can then apply for an emergency passport to return to the U.S. To apply; you should complete and submit Forms DS-64 and DS-11.

Steps to Replace a Stolen Passport

To get a replacement passport, you must complete and submit the correct forms. You must provide the application in person at an acceptance facility. The application must include:

  • Completed DS-11 and DS-64 Forms
  • Gather your supporting documents to submit
  • Pay application fee

Where to Submit the Application

The Department of State authorizes facilities through the states to accept and process passport applications. The most convenient place to apply is the post office. Other sites include the libraries, county clerk’s offices, and courthouses. At these locations, you will have two processing options.

Other places where you can apply are private expeditor companies and regional passport agencies. These places will get you a passport in 24 hours if necessary.

Application Processing Options

Regular Process

The post office will accept the application and submit it to the State Department. The regular processing time is 4-6 weeks. This option is used by applicants who are not in a rush for their passport. The cost is cheaper for the other option.

Expedited Process

The post office offers this option as well. However, there is a fee associated with the service. You will pay $60 more along with the application fee. The extra cost will put a rush on the process. It will take 2-3 weeks to get your new passport.

Rush Process

The post office or the other locations do not offer rush service. Only private companies and regional passport agencies provide rush service.

Private companies can get you a passport in 24 hours or up to two weeks. You must provide proof of travel, the application, and pay the service and application fees. The cost will vary due to the speed of how soon you need a passport.

A regional passport agency only provides 24-hour service. However, you need an appointment for a meeting to submit your proof of travel, documents, and fees. To get an appointment, call the National Passport Information Center toll-free number at 1-877-487-2778.


To replace a stolen passport, you must first report it stolen. To report it stolen, call the Department of State or mail in a completed DS-64 Form. If you are outside the country, contact the U.S. embassy or consulate to report it stolen.

Once you have reported it stolen, you can apply for a replacement at the post office, a private expeditor company, or a regional passport agency. The cost will vary due to the different process options. However, once all the appropriate documents are in, you will have a new passport to travel again.

Lost Passport

Replacing a lost passport can be an easy process. Once you can provide the forms, supporting documents, and pay the fee, you will get your replacement in the mail or your hand.

Steps to Replace Your Lost Passport

Once you are aware your passport is missing, you must report it. You can do so by calling the State Department. The Department will then put a hold on it so that no one can use it if it is found. You can then begin the process to replace your lost passport.

To replace your lost passport, start by:

  • Complete Form DS-64 and DS-11
  • Gather your supporting documents
  • Find an acceptance facility to apply or mail it

Report your Lost Passport

You can report your lost passport by calling the State Department. The number to call is 1-877-487-2778 between 8 am to 10 pm eastern time. You can also complete Form DS-64 and mail it to:

U.S. Department of State

Passport Services

Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section

1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, D.C. 20036

If You Are Out of The Country

If you are traveling at the time of your passport getting lost, you can report it to the nearest U.S. Consulate or embassy. You must still complete and submit Form DS-64. You can apply for a temporary passport to get back into the states. Once home, you can now get a regular passport.


To replace a lost passport, you must submit two forms. Complete DS-64 and DS-11 then submit them. At submission, provide your supporting documents to show proof of citizenship, identity, a color photograph, and pay the cost. Additional cost will be added if you choose to expedite your application.

After providing all the necessary papers and fees, you will have your travel document. Keep it in a safe place to prevent losing it again.


Read MoreRead Less

Offering Fast, Reliable, Hassle-Free Services