File Search

Requesting For a File Search

When you are unable to provide proof of citizenship for an upcoming trip and not enough time to get the documents you need, you can submit a request for a file search. However, requesting a file search comes with stipulations. For one, you must have been issued a passport book or card in the past to have some information with the State Department. If not, a file search is not for you. If you did have a passport or card issued before, it does not guarantee any documents will be found.

When you request a file search, there is a fee attached to the application. The price is an addition to your passport application. So, complete the form, download it here, and submit it with $150.00. The form must accompany your DS-11 Application for U.S. Passport, or DS-64 Lost or Stolen Passport Replacement, or DS-82 Passport Renewal Application. Each of these forms has a different fee attached and varies for a minor or adult passport.

See below the form and the information the State Department will ask.