is a privately owned website and not a government agency is a privately owned website. Privacy

How Soon Do You Need Your Passport?

Select the Processing Time to Expedite your Child Passport


1 Business Day


+ Government Fee
Get Started


2-3 Business Days


+ Government Fees
Get Started


8 - 12 Business Days


+ Government Fees
Get Started

How to Expedite a Child Passport

Is it time for your child to get a passport? Well, we have gathered the information you will need to apply for your child passport. A child is considered a minor 15 years or younger.

To start the application process, get the form. The form you will use is DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport. It is the same form an adult will use to get a passport. Since it is the first time, the application must be submitted by both parents and guardians.

How to get Form DS-11

You can get this form online or in person at any acceptance facilities. If you get it online, you will have a PDF version which you can print. The hard copy form any of the facilities is the same as the online version.

Once you have the form, read the instructions to verify your child is eligible to get a passport. Also, you will see information about the other documents you must provide to support the application. Produce each document as specified by the instructions. If you don’t, you will have a delay in the process.

Supporting Documents for a Child Passport

Now that you have the information you need to start filling the information on the form. Use a black ink pen. Once you finish with the questionnaire, Do Not sign the form. You must sign it in front of the acceptance agent.

Documents that you should provide with the completed DS-11 includes:

  • Proof of citizenship
  • Proof of identity
  • Recent color photograph
  • Parental Relationship
  • Parental Consent (from the absent parent at the time of applying)
  • Passport fee

Forms Related to Family Circumstances

At the time of applying, if one parent is missing, then other forms are required. For instance, if a parent is in another state, out of the country, or ill and cannot be present, then he or she must:

  • complete Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent
  • a copy, front and back, of his or her government-issued ID
  • the form must be notarized

If you have sole custody of your child, then you must complete Form DS-5525. Form DS-5525, Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances will allow a parent to get a minor passport. You must provide proof of sole custody such as:

  • court document reflecting full custody
  • divorce decree
  • death certificate

Where to Apply for a Child Passport

There are many facilities designated by the State Department to accept passport applications. The most popular and convenient location is the post office. You can submit your papers at any post office in your county. Other receiving sites include county clerk’s offices, courthouses, and libraries.

Other facilities available for rush services if you have an emergency. They include regional agencies and private expeditors. However, you will pay a service fee and the application fee.

Application Processing Times

Standard Process

The post office, county clerk’s office, courthouse, and library offer the same services. With the service, the process takes 4-6 weeks before you get a new passport in the mail. It is the most used service because it is the cheapest. However, if you need a passport in 2-3 weeks, you can get this service at these facilities as well. But you must pay $60 more.

Rush Process

For emergencies, you can get a child passport in a day or within two weeks. A regional agency offers a 24-hour service to an applicant with proof of an emergency. The agency requires an appointment before going. Call the National Passport Center Information to get one. The cost will include the service fee and the application fee.

A private expeditor offers the same service. However, you don’t need an appointment. You can even mail your documents with proof of the emergency by using an overnight shipping service for approval. The cost of the service at the expeditor will vary because of how soon you need the document. You are still responsible for paying the application fee.


With the provision of the form(s), supporting documents, and fee, your child could have his or her passport in as little as a day or a month. You must select the application in person if it is the first time your child is getting a passport. Once your child reaches a certain age, he or she can sign the application can. Otherwise, you can continue to do so on their behalf.

Read MoreRead Less

Offering Fast, Reliable, Hassle-Free Services